UK: Diageo extends Guinness rugby ties
Diageo strengthens Guinness rugby links
Diageo has strengthened the presence of Guinness on the UK rugby union scene by signing sponsorship deals with the national rugby bodies for England, Wales and Scotland.
The three-year deals, which include pouring rights at stadiums and hospitality, come just ahead of the Autumn Internationals series, during which Australia, South Africa and New Zealand tour the UK and Ireland. Financial details behind the tie-ups were not disclosed.
"These new partnerships give us our largest ever presence in rugby," said Diageo Great Britain's marketing director for Guinness, John Roscoe, today (1 November).
The announcement follows the conclusion of Guinness' sponsorship of the Guinness Premiership rugby competition in England earlier this year.
Rugby fans will be able to follow the England, Wales and Scotland national teams, as well as win prizes, via a Guinness page on Facebook.
Diageo already has a sponsorship deal for Guinness with Ireland's national rugby body.
The drinks giant praised market share gains for Guinness in the UK during the firm's most recent fiscal year, to the end of June. Guinness accounted for 8% of on-trade beer volume sales in the UK, the brand's highest level to date, during the 12 months.
We should not be too surprised that Diageo has ended its flirtation with Stock Spirits....
In Denmark, this month, Pete Brown bore witness to the latest attempt by a multinational brewer to give its flagship beer a global identity. This well-worn road, however, is beset by perils and pitfal...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research