GLOBAL: Diageo ends interest in Stock Spirits
Diageo has ended its interest in acquiring Stock Spirits
Diageo is no longer seeking to acquire Stock Spirits, just-drinks understands.
Diageo has ended its interest in acquiring Stock Spirits, owner of Czysta de Luxe vodka, sources close to the situation have told just-drinks today (26 April). It is believed that valuation was the major barrier to a deal between the Johnnie Walker distiller and Stock's private equity owner, Oaktree Capital Management.
Oaktree Capital has, for several months, been considering either a sale or a stock market flotation for Stock Spirits, which claims to be the number one spirits group by volume in both Poland and Czech, as well as the number one vodka firm in Italy.
Diageo's interest came as part of the drinks giant's decision to pursue takeovers more vigorously in emerging markets. So far this year, it has already agreed to buy Turkey's leading spirits producer, Mey Içki, for US$2.1bn and a 24% stake in Hanoi Liquor Joint Stock Co for GBP33m (US$54.5m).
Stock Spirits would have provided Diageo with a strong distribution platform across key parts of Eastern Europe. However, Diageo has repeatedly said that, despite its interest in acquisitions, it will not overpay for assets.
It is thought that Oaktree is looking for at least GBP500m for Stock Spirits. If no buyers can be found, then the private equity group is considering an initial public offering, just-drinks understands.
Neither Diageo nor Stock Spirits would comment on the situation.
To read just-drinks' analysis of this development, click here.
Having raised a few eyebrows with its pursuit of Foster's Group, SABMiller has won back a few cheerleaders by signing a strategic alliance with Anadolu Efes. Chris Mercer looks at the market reaction ...
A new report incorporating the IWSR's spirits rankings and a just-drinks readership survey confirms Johnnie Walker's status as the undisputed global brand leader in the spirits sector but also has som...
The UK Wine & Spirit Trade Association has nominated Diageo's Nick Hyde as its next chairman....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research