UK: Diageo, Edrington distillery reopens after Legionnaires' outbreak
The whisky distillery was closed as a precaution
An Edinburgh whisky distillery closed after an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in the city has reopened.
The North British Distillery, which is part-owned by Diageo and The Edrington Group, went back into production on Monday (18 June), a company spokesperson told just-drinks late today (22 June). Production at the Wheatfield Road distillery was halted on 7 June as a precaution. Scotland's Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said at the time that the company had failed to adequately control the risk of legionella in a cooling tower.
The improvement notice did not mean the distillery had been identified as the source of the disease, HSE said.
“We can confirm that we have started the distillery back up in a controlled manner,” a statement from North British said today. “This decision was taken in full consultation with the HSE.”
Earlier today, NHS Lothian confirmed the source of the exposure was "most likely to have been the cluster of cooling towers in Wheatfield Road, Edinburgh".
However, initial tests have been inconclusive and further analysis is ongoing.
The statement from North British said that the facility has fully complied with the HSE’s improvement notice.
“All of our cooling towers are continuously monitored and dosed and all three cooling towers are regularly cleaned,” it said.
Earlier this month, a second cooling tower on Wheatfield Road belonging to pharmaceutical company Macfarlan Smith was also issued with an improvement notice.
Samples were taken from three other cooling towers on Wheatfield Road.
The total number of Legionnaires' cases in Edinburgh is 93, NHS Lothian said today. One man has died in the outbreak.
Diageo and The Edrington Group own a 50-50 share in the site.
The penultimate part of just-drinks' review of 2012 looks at a tumultuous year for the wine category....
Hats off the Sunday Telegraph for breaking the story today (9 December) that Diageo has been sniffing around Beam Inc....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2012....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets