US: Diageo drops Guinness from St Patrick's Day parade
Diageo said it will not sponsor this year's parade
Diageo has pulled its Guinness sponsorship of today's (17 March) St Patrick's Day parade in New York City after organisers refused to change the event's policy on gay and lesbian groups.
The move follows Heineken's dropping of its sponsorship, and Boston Beer's exit from a South Boston parade, for the same reason on Friday. City legislators have been unable to make a deal with organisers of both parades, who have refused to allow homosexual groups to march openly.
Diageo said in a statement: “Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all. We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year's parade. As this has not come to pass, Guinness has withdrawn its participation. We will continue to work with community leaders to ensure that future parades have an inclusionary policy.”
Heineken also said it believes in equality. “For that reason, we are no longer a sponsor of today’s parade,” it said.
Meanwhile, Boston Beer said in a statement on Friday: “We were hopeful an agreement could be reached to allow everyone, regardless of orientation, to participate in this parade. However, given the current status of the negotiations, this may not be possible.”
Last year, the owner of SPI Group wrote an open letter in support of lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender groups after activists called for a boycott off SPI vodka brand Stolichnaya in protest at Russian government policies.
This week, just-drinks welcomes Fiona Curtin, the senior innovation manager at Heineken's division in Ireland and a just-drinks subscriber....
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research