US: Diageo drops Guinness from St Patrick's Day parade
Diageo said it will not sponsor this year's parade
Diageo has pulled its Guinness sponsorship of today's (17 March) St Patrick's Day parade in New York City after organisers refused to change the event's policy on gay and lesbian groups.
The move follows Heineken's dropping of its sponsorship, and Boston Beer's exit from a South Boston parade, for the same reason on Friday. City legislators have been unable to make a deal with organisers of both parades, who have refused to allow homosexual groups to march openly.
Diageo said in a statement: “Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all. We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year's parade. As this has not come to pass, Guinness has withdrawn its participation. We will continue to work with community leaders to ensure that future parades have an inclusionary policy.”
Heineken also said it believes in equality. “For that reason, we are no longer a sponsor of today’s parade,” it said.
Meanwhile, Boston Beer said in a statement on Friday: “We were hopeful an agreement could be reached to allow everyone, regardless of orientation, to participate in this parade. However, given the current status of the negotiations, this may not be possible.”
Last year, the owner of SPI Group wrote an open letter in support of lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender groups after activists called for a boycott off SPI vodka brand Stolichnaya in protest at Russian government policies.
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Diageo plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)