UK: Diageo drops Guinness as rugby title sponsor
The Guinness Premiership is no more
The drinks giant's GB unit, which had been title sponsor of the league for five years, told just-drinks today (24 August) that it had made the decision not to renew its title position “just before Christmas”. Having announced a one-year renewal in May last year, Diageo GB had concluded that the Guinness Premiership name “wasn't the best option going forward”.
Speaking to just-drinks, Lee Bailey, senior sponsorship manager at Diageo GB, said: “In our research, our awareness (for Guinness) had reached record levels with little room to grow. So, we decided we needed to shift around the partnerships a little bit. We're hoping to carry on investing heavily in rugby for the upcoming season.
“As soon as we know what partnerships we've got for the forthcoming season, we shall announce them,” Bailey added.
Guinness took over from Zurich as title sponsor back in 2005, when Diageo signed a GBP20m four-year deal with Premier Rugby.
From the new season, which starts this Friday (27 August), the tournament will be known as the Aviva Premiership.
Diageo's results last week spelt out one strong message, as far as M&A nut Richard Woodard is concerned. Let's watch him clap his hands and jump up and down as he tells us what he heard....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China