UK: Diageo doubles online Smirnoff spend
Diageo Great Britain said yesterday (10 January) that it will increase its digital spend on Smirnoff by 115% in 2011, compared with 2010. The drinks giant has been encouraged by growth in the market for online advertising and the success of its Smirnoff Nightlife Exchange Project (NEP) marketing campaign, which it has primarily conducted via Facebook.
The company said that it is seeking to foster online communities of Smirnoff consumers. Its NEP campaign on Facebook has a 312,000-strong community of fans in the UK and 2m fans globally, Diageo said.
A spokesperson for the group declined to give a specific figure for its digital marketing spend on Smirnoff.
Online marketing using social networks helped to drive a 10% rise in online advertising spend in the UK in the first half of 2010, to GBP1.97bn (US$3bn), according to the Internet Advertising Bureau. Digital marketing accounted for almost a quarter of UK advertising spend during the six-month period.
All food and drinks companies face tougher online advertising rules in the UK from 1 March, when the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) will broaden its regulation of digital advertising to include advertisers' own websites. It will also attempt to police non-paid-for space on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
This month's management briefing for just-drinks' subscribers looks at the retail landscape for alcoholic drinks. In part one, we look at the shift from the on-trade to the off-trade in the mature mar...
Diageo's funding of a programme in the UK to train midwives in informing women about alcohol consumption during pregnancy has been criticised by health professionals. Ben Cooper believes Diageo's move...
As Diageo plans to increase its capacity across a range of distilleries in Scotland, we bring you the latest stats on where the biggest markets for Scotch whisky lie around the world....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018