INDIA: Diageo details United Spirits MTO uptake
Diageo will buy 17.4% of United Spirits from India's UB Group
Upon announcing its plan last year to buy 27.4% of UB Group's United Spirits division, Diageo triggered an MTO that could have upped its stake to 53.4%. The offer, which ran from 10 April to 26 April, was priced at the same level as the two-part purchase of the 27.4% stake, at INR1,440 per share.
Speaking to just-drinks today (15 May), however, a spokesperson for Diageo said that only 58,668 shares were tendered, representing 0.4% of USL's shareholding.
“The shareholder agreement and board governance structure which formed part of the transaction announcement made on 9 November 2012, give us effective control at a minimum 25.1% share ownership, which would be obtained through the share purchase agreement and the preferential allotment,” the spokesperson noted.
Both parts of Diageo's initial purchase are still in progress, the spokesperson noted.
Although Diageo will only own just over a quarter of United Spirits, the UK-based firm will still hold control of the company's operations.
The UK-based among you may have witnessed the Guinness takeover of the ad-break in The Jonathan Ross Show late last month. Reaction to the three-minute mock-talk show has been overwhelmingly grim....
The recent spate of activity in the Irish whiskey category suggests that the sub-category is looking to make waves in the spirits world. Ian Buxton takes a closer look and considers whether all the fu...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research