INDIA: Diageo details United Spirits MTO uptake
Diageo will buy 17.4% of United Spirits from India's UB Group
Upon announcing its plan last year to buy 27.4% of UB Group's United Spirits division, Diageo triggered an MTO that could have upped its stake to 53.4%. The offer, which ran from 10 April to 26 April, was priced at the same level as the two-part purchase of the 27.4% stake, at INR1,440 per share.
Speaking to just-drinks today (15 May), however, a spokesperson for Diageo said that only 58,668 shares were tendered, representing 0.4% of USL's shareholding.
“The shareholder agreement and board governance structure which formed part of the transaction announcement made on 9 November 2012, give us effective control at a minimum 25.1% share ownership, which would be obtained through the share purchase agreement and the preferential allotment,” the spokesperson noted.
Both parts of Diageo's initial purchase are still in progress, the spokesperson noted.
Although Diageo will only own just over a quarter of United Spirits, the UK-based firm will still hold control of the company's operations.
The UK-based among you may have witnessed the Guinness takeover of the ad-break in The Jonathan Ross Show late last month. Reaction to the three-minute mock-talk show has been overwhelmingly grim....
The recent spate of activity in the Irish whiskey category suggests that the sub-category is looking to make waves in the spirits world. Ian Buxton takes a closer look and considers whether all the fu...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends