UK: Diageo denies plans to move HQ to Ireland
Diageo has denied reports that it has been in discussion with the Irish government about moving the drinks giant's headquarters from London to Ireland.
Speaking to just-drinks today a spokesman for the company said: "It's untrue."
The Irish Sunday Independent had reported that Diageo was "seriously considering" moving the company to Ireland to take advantage of low corporation tax rates.
The Sunday Independent said it had learned that private talks between newly appointed Tanaiste Mary Coughlan and senior Diageo management took place early Friday morning, shortly before their press conference to announce the overhaul Diageo's brewing facilities in the country.
However, Diageo's spokesman told just-drinks that the meeting had been a briefing about Diageo's plans to invest millions of pounds into building a new brewery in Ireland.
He added that no discussions about an HQ move had taken place.
Asked if the move was something Diageo would consider in the future, the spokesman said that as a multinational country Diageo was always monitoring the country's it operated in and it was Diageo's hope that the UK government did not make the UK a less competitive place to do business.
The Sunday Independent reported such a move by Diageo would save the company EUR250m (US$386.5m) in tax a year.
Consumer markets may be bracing themselves for the impact of the economic downturn, but Patrón Spirits Company has no intention of being deflected from its marketing-led growth strategy. In this month...
Scroll down to view the top 10 stories published on just-drinks this week....
An economic slowdown has caused more US consumers to trade down on drinks, but figures show that the premium spirits category remains buoyant, Diageo executives have said....
Diageo has refused to comment on speculation that it is planning to exit its joint venture with Radico Khaitan in India....
Diageo has launched a GBP25m global marketing campaign for Baileys, intended to deliver "significant growth" for the liqueur over the next three years....
Diageo is exploring ways to improve its presence in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, which prohibits the sale of alcoholic drinks bottled outside its borders....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Light drinking during pregnancy does not raise the risk of behavioural or mental problems in children, new research suggests....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018