CZECH: Diageo deal "complementary" - Stock Spirits Group CEO
Stock Spirits announced the Diageo deal today
Stock Spirits Group's CEO has said his firm's new alliance with Diageo is “complementary” and won't see the two companies' brands competing against each other.
Chris Heath, whose company today announced it will distribute Diageo's premium portfolio in Czech, said both sides had worked to ensure there will be “no direct clashes” when the deal starts in January. Stock Spirits is Czech's leading clear and flavoured vodka producer by volume, it says, with brands including 1906 and Orzel.
Under the new distribution agreement, one of the Diageo brands it will handle is global best-selling vodka Smirnoff.
However, Heath told just-drinks today (13 November): “Smirnoff is relatively small in Czech but it's at a different price point so we've made sure there are no direct clashes.
“We don't want to do something that directly competes with each other but we see it as being much more complementary," he added. "Having similar brands at different price points and at slightly different positioning works very well.”
He also said Russian Standard's takeover of Central European Distribution Corporation this year is unlikely to make much difference to the Polish vodka market. He said: “A change of management will change a few things along the way, but we see them (CEDC) as a very professional competitor and when you have professionals competing you tend to have a very healthy market.”
Russian investor Roustam Tariko, the owner of Russian Standard, gained full control of CEDC in April 2013. The new owner is expected to focus more on the Russian market. This, in turn, could mean less...
It looks like 2014 is shaping up to be the year of surprises in the spirits industry. First up, in January, we saw Beam Inc head in a direction that few of us foresaw. Then, today, Whyte & Mackay has ...
Beam, as the world’s fourth largest international spirits company and seventh largest overall, should be in a strong position. In some ways it is, however, it suffers from a large proportion of its vo...
This profile brings together all of just-drinks' coverage of the major developments in Suntory's acquisition of Beam. Spanning a four month period since the beginning of the year the profile looks at ...
Poland Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts a...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report