US: Diageo cuts Fox News adverts
Diageo has ceased advertising on the Glenn Beck show on the Fox News network in the US.
A spokesperson for Diageo, which owns Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky, Guinness and Smirnoff brands, confirmed to just-drinks today (7 October) that the group is no longer advertising around the show. The spokesperson did not give specific reasons for the decision.
The move comes after other high-profile names, including UK retailer Waitrose and US retail giant Wal-Mart, pulled adverts from the show following customer complaints.
Beck caused controversy back in July when he alleged that US President Barack Obama was a "racist".
Describing the arrest of a black academic, Henry Louis Gates, Beck said the president's subsequent actions had shown him to be a "guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture".
Both Fox News and Sky are owned by media magnate Rupert Murdoch.
As Heineken CEO Jean-Francois Van Boxmeer last week hailed the opening of the firm's brewery with Diageo in South Africa as "a victory for consumer choice", it is clear that a new battle for supremacy...
Diageo is to hold a series of games for consumers in the US in order to promote its Jose Cuervo Tequila brand....
Scottish brewer Innis & Gunn is planning to expand in the US after reporting strong sales for its beer both in the UK and abroad in 2009....
Diageo and Heineken last week officially opened a brewery in South Africa as part of a joint venture. Here are some facts on the ZAR3.5bn (US$473m) brewery....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Brewers v Distillers in Nutrition Control Battle
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly