US: Diageo cuts Fox News adverts
Diageo has ceased advertising on the Glenn Beck show on the Fox News network in the US.
A spokesperson for Diageo, which owns Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky, Guinness and Smirnoff brands, confirmed to just-drinks today (7 October) that the group is no longer advertising around the show. The spokesperson did not give specific reasons for the decision.
The move comes after other high-profile names, including UK retailer Waitrose and US retail giant Wal-Mart, pulled adverts from the show following customer complaints.
Beck caused controversy back in July when he alleged that US President Barack Obama was a "racist".
Describing the arrest of a black academic, Henry Louis Gates, Beck said the president's subsequent actions had shown him to be a "guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture".
Both Fox News and Sky are owned by media magnate Rupert Murdoch.
As Heineken CEO Jean-Francois Van Boxmeer last week hailed the opening of the firm's brewery with Diageo in South Africa as "a victory for consumer choice", it is clear that a new battle for supremacy...
Diageo is to hold a series of games for consumers in the US in order to promote its Jose Cuervo Tequila brand....
Scottish brewer Innis & Gunn is planning to expand in the US after reporting strong sales for its beer both in the UK and abroad in 2009....
Diageo and Heineken last week officially opened a brewery in South Africa as part of a joint venture. Here are some facts on the ZAR3.5bn (US$473m) brewery....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly