GLOBAL: Diageo creates global beer category director role
- Diageo continues category marketing approach
- Guinness brand director to step up
- Replacement at Guinness "subject of a future announcement"
Beer is next in Diageo's switch to target category marketing
Brian Duffy, who is also the current chairman of Diageo Ireland, will fill the newly-created role, while still holding the chairmanship in Ireland, the company said today (16 December). In the new role, Duffy will be accountable for conceiving the total category strategy for Diageo's beer brands, which include Red Stripe and Windhoek as well as Guinness, and for identifying growth opportunities within it.
Diageo will appoint a replacement for Duffy at Guinness in the coming months.
The creation of the position follows a change in the firm’s marketing department structure, which began in June this year and saw the global marketing function look to view the business in terms of category, rather than just brands.
“We believe viewing our business through a category lens is the right way to source growth for Diageo,” said chief marketing officer Andy Fennell. “In this new category approach, we believe we can target significant opportunity for our beer business and allow us to reach our targets for our beer portfolio.”
Duffy, who has been with Diageo for 29 years, will continue to be based in Dublin, and will assume the new role on 3 January.
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research