GLOBAL: Diageo creates global beer category director role
- Diageo continues category marketing approach
- Guinness brand director to step up
- Replacement at Guinness "subject of a future announcement"
Beer is next in Diageo's switch to target category marketing
Brian Duffy, who is also the current chairman of Diageo Ireland, will fill the newly-created role, while still holding the chairmanship in Ireland, the company said today (16 December). In the new role, Duffy will be accountable for conceiving the total category strategy for Diageo's beer brands, which include Red Stripe and Windhoek as well as Guinness, and for identifying growth opportunities within it.
Diageo will appoint a replacement for Duffy at Guinness in the coming months.
The creation of the position follows a change in the firm’s marketing department structure, which began in June this year and saw the global marketing function look to view the business in terms of category, rather than just brands.
“We believe viewing our business through a category lens is the right way to source growth for Diageo,” said chief marketing officer Andy Fennell. “In this new category approach, we believe we can target significant opportunity for our beer business and allow us to reach our targets for our beer portfolio.”
Duffy, who has been with Diageo for 29 years, will continue to be based in Dublin, and will assume the new role on 3 January.
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- US on-premise at "new normal" - research
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review