TURKEY: Diageo could quit Turkey amid tax row
Diageo could close its operations in Turkey if it is forced to pay up in a tax row with the country's government, just-drinks understands.
The UK drinks giant is in the middle of a two-year dispute with Turkey over the level of duty levied on spirits imports. Diageo refused to comment on whether it could quit the Turkish market but confirmed the row with the Turkish government, which has lasted two-and-a-half years.
"It is important to stress that this is an imported spirits industry issue," the company said. "The dispute is in between the Turkish Customs and major global spirit companies as well as some Turkish companies importing other international brands to Turkey."
The company reacted after a leaked private letter from British Prime Minister Tony Blair to his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
In the letter, Blair claimed spirits importers in Turkey are facing fines of around US$500m and said companies "will have no choice but to close down their operations in Turkey" if the fines were levied.
Diageo insisted it has met all international trade regulations and said bodies including the European Commission and the World Customs Organisation supported the importers "from a technical perspective".
The company added: "Diageo Turkey intends to continue to pursue its rights through the litigation process and to exhaust all avenues of appeal available to it in this dispute."
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
Diageo is looking to focus heavily on its premium market by offering up more innovative ways for them to connect with key brands....
Diageo Great Britain plans to launch a heavyweight marketing and advertising campaign to push sales of Pimm's over the summer in the UK....
The World Trade Organisation has agreed to an EU request to take a closer look at India's taxation of spirits and wines....
Davide Campari-Milano has trimmed the size of its board and issued dividend details....
Global drinks giant Diageo has made a minority investment in a vodka/wine blend targeted at women in North America....
Diageo and SABMiller are pondering the break-up of Scottish & Newcastle, according to reports....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research