UK: Diageo cools United Spirits stake talk
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh has affirmed the group's desire to increase its presence in India, but said that talks with Vijay Mallya's United Spirits remain in the preliminary stages.
Walsh, speaking at Diageo's first half results conference yesterday (12 February), said that the drinks giant has a "desire to increase our footprint in India".
Commenting on the firm's much-publicised talks with United Spirits, he said that negotiations remain "very preliminary".
Press reports out of India today (13 February) have claimed that United Spirits owner Mallya would be prepared to offer Diageo a seat on the company's board, in addition to a 15% stake.
Corporate law in India currently states that any firm acquiring a 15% stake or more in another company must make an offer to acquire a further 20% stake in that company.
Diageo's Walsh told just-drinks yesterday that the firm has the money to make acquisitions in drinks this year, but that any move "depends on the opportunities that arise".
Diageo already has a joint venture in India with Radico Khaitan, which holds a 10% share of the country's spirits market. United Spirits, which is part of Mallya's UB Group, is the largest player, with an estimated spirits market share of more than 60%. It is likely that Diageo would have to end its venture with Khaitan, should it agree a deal with United Spirits.
The long-running discussions between Diageo and United Spirits over a possible stake purchase have collapsed, with Diageo walking away from the table....
This month, Carolyn Panzer took up the position of corporate social responsibility director at Diageo, expanding her former remit as alcohol and responsibility director to cover all areas of Diageo's ...
The last few weeks has seen a large number of companies report their interim results, an opportunity to see whether the performance across a wide range of drinks companies from around the world suppor...
United Spirit's first quarter results this week might have one wondering what all the fuss is about with the current economic downturn....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Kirin Holdings has raised its full-year net earnings guidance by 5%, despite an 82% slide in profits in the first half of 2009....
Campari has seen first half profits boosted by lower spend on advertising and promotion, following a drop in media rates in several key markets....
The Company of Wine People has dropped Ehrmanns as its distributor in the UK, in favour of Percy Fox & Co....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets