INDIA/UK: Diageo "considering" feedback from regulators over United Spirits deal
Diageo is seeking a majority stake in United Spirits
Despite local reports today (5 February) that the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has signed-off the UK group's bid to take a majority stake in the Indian firm, just-drinks understands that the body is yet to give the green light. A Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks: “We have received SEBI's comments and are considering them.”
SEBI confirmed on its website that it has sent the company a "letter of observation", but its comments on the deal are not public.
Last month, Diageo moved to dampen concerns that the deal will be delayed after its bid to acquire public shares in United Spirits was held up. The drinks giant has insisted the deal should complete by the end of calendar Q1.
Diageo last week reported a double-digit rise in first-half operating profits.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages