INDIA/UK: Diageo "considering" feedback from regulators over United Spirits deal
Diageo is seeking a majority stake in United Spirits
Despite local reports today (5 February) that the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has signed-off the UK group's bid to take a majority stake in the Indian firm, just-drinks understands that the body is yet to give the green light. A Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks: “We have received SEBI's comments and are considering them.”
SEBI confirmed on its website that it has sent the company a "letter of observation", but its comments on the deal are not public.
Last month, Diageo moved to dampen concerns that the deal will be delayed after its bid to acquire public shares in United Spirits was held up. The drinks giant has insisted the deal should complete by the end of calendar Q1.
Diageo last week reported a double-digit rise in first-half operating profits.
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review