INDIA/UK: Diageo "considering" feedback from regulators over United Spirits deal
Diageo is seeking a majority stake in United Spirits
Despite local reports today (5 February) that the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has signed-off the UK group's bid to take a majority stake in the Indian firm, just-drinks understands that the body is yet to give the green light. A Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks: “We have received SEBI's comments and are considering them.”
SEBI confirmed on its website that it has sent the company a "letter of observation", but its comments on the deal are not public.
Last month, Diageo moved to dampen concerns that the deal will be delayed after its bid to acquire public shares in United Spirits was held up. The drinks giant has insisted the deal should complete by the end of calendar Q1.
Diageo last week reported a double-digit rise in first-half operating profits.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Remy Cointreau sees H1 sales, profits rise
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts