UK/SA: Diageo confirms sorghum beer unit JV with UB Group
Diageo already operates JVs in Africa
The UK-based company will pay US$36m for a 50/50 share in United National Breweries, Diageo said today (28 January). The other half will be held by a company affiliated to UB Group's chief, Vijay Mallya.
The transaction is expected to complete in the first half of this year subject to consent from the South African competition authority.
Diageo already operates a cost-sharing JV in South Africa, Brandhouse Beverages, with Heineken and Namibia Breweries. Brandhouse is a marketing, sales and distribution company for premium alcohol beverages in the country. At the same time, Diageo and Heineken jointly own a brewery in Sedibeng near Johannesburg, which was opened two years ago.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report