UK/SA: Diageo confirms sorghum beer unit JV with UB Group
Diageo already operates JVs in Africa
The UK-based company will pay US$36m for a 50/50 share in United National Breweries, Diageo said today (28 January). The other half will be held by a company affiliated to UB Group's chief, Vijay Mallya.
The transaction is expected to complete in the first half of this year subject to consent from the South African competition authority.
Diageo already operates a cost-sharing JV in South Africa, Brandhouse Beverages, with Heineken and Namibia Breweries. Brandhouse is a marketing, sales and distribution company for premium alcohol beverages in the country. At the same time, Diageo and Heineken jointly own a brewery in Sedibeng near Johannesburg, which was opened two years ago.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future