UK: Diageo completes Bushmills purchase
Diageo has today completed the purchase of Irish whiskey brand Bushmills from Pernod Ricard for approximately GBP200m. The acquisition was announced earlier this year as part of Pernod's takeover of Allied Domecq.
In a statement, Paul Walsh, Diageo's chief executive, said: "The acquisition of Bushmills is a particularly exciting opportunity. This is one of the industry's oldest Irish whiskey brands and gives Diageo, for the first time, an important presence in this growing category.
"Since 2000 Diageo has built a focused premium drinks company which is now a world leader. The business has grown organically and through targeted acquisitions and the Bushmills purchase continues this strategy."
Bushmills will join two other Irish brands in the Diageo portfolio - Guinness and Baileys.
"We believe Bushmills has huge growth potential and are looking forward to utilising our marketing expertise and distribution capabilities to catapult this brand into the global whisk(e)y market," Walsh added.
UBS Investment Bank acted as financial advisor to Diageo with Slaughter and May as legal advisor.
Diageo’s acquisition of Bushmills Irish Whiskey from Pernod Ricard in 2005 heralded a major change for the brand. As Shivaun Lucey, global brand director, Bushmills, stresses in this month’s Just the ...
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Pernod Ricard’s Irish whiskey brand Jameson has reached the 2m-case mark but the landscape of the Irish whiskey sector has been transformed by the French company’s decision to sell the Bushmills brand...
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research