INDIA: Diageo close to deal in Tamil Nadu - report
Diageo is to become the first international spirits firm to enter the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, after securing a deal with state authorities, according to a report.
A bottling tie-up between Diageo and local SNJ Distilleries has been cleared by the state government, according to a report in the Economic Times newspaper this week.
Tamil Nadu only allows drinks firms with bottling operations inside its borders to sell their products in the state.
A Diageo spokesperson declined to comment on the report when contacted by just-drinks.
Diageo confirmed to just-drinks in November 2008 that it intended to acquire a bottler in Tamil Nadu, as a way of gaining access to the state.
Pernod Ricard and Diageo's pitched battle on the fairways of world golf is hotting up....
Alcoholic drinks firms are hoping to avoid a global call for "extreme" legislation to tackle alcohol abuse by outlining the ways industry can help to tackle the problem....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Two senior drinks industry heads have backed the launch of a book by The International Center for Alcohol Policies, calling for the industry to play a strong part in policy and implementation....
New Scotch whisky rules covering every aspect of the distilling, bottling and labelling have come into force this week. Here we take a look at key provisions of the new law....
Guinness Nigeria, a subsidiary of Diageo, has reported a fall in profits for its fiscal first quarter....
Diageo and subsidiary East African Breweries have transferred distribution of all spirits brands in Tanzania to Serengeti Breweries with immediate effect....
Landmark Scotch Whisky Regulations covering every aspect of the making, bottling, and labelling of Scotch Whisky have come into force today (23 November)....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Constellation recalls Corona over glass threat