Diageo casts net for new chairman as Humer prepares exit
Humer has been on Diageo's board since 2005
Diageo is looking for a new chairman as Franz Humer prepares to step down after eight years in the role.
The company said today a succession process is now underway but that a replacement has yet to be confirmed. "At the appropriate time we will announce our plans for succession," Diageo said.
Humer, who has been on the board at the Johnnie Walker owner for 11 years, will leave the company in June when he reaches the end of his tenure, just-drinks understands.
"Dr Humer has been our esteemed chairman for eight years guiding the company to the leadership position we have today," Diageo said. in a statement. "As a matter of good governance process, the board has clearly started to think about succession and a process is underway."
Humer, 69, took over as chairman in July 2008 from Lord Blyth of Rowington. The Swiss-Austrian was previously chief executive of Swiss global health-care company F Hoffmann-La Roche. Humer is a non-executive director at three other companies - Kite Pharma, CitiGroup and Japan's Chugai Pharmaceutical.
Analysts cited by The Sunday Times yesterday said possible replacements for Humer included SABMiller and Rio Tinto chairman Jan du Plessis, Royal Mail chairman Peter Long and former Marks & Spencer CEO Marc Bolland.
Marketline's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Diageo plc (Diageo) is an alcoholic beverages company that produces, distributes, and sells spirits, beer, and wine products. Its portfolio includes scotch, beer, vodka, Indian made foreign liquor, N...
Diageo Great Britain Ltd is part of Diageo Plc, which is the largest manufacturer and distributor of spirits and a major producer of beer and RTDs, operating in more than 20 markets across the Globe....
The company is continuing to invest in premium and super premium segments with acquisitions of brands like Tequila Don Julio and by better controlling and harmonising its luxury portfolio....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends