UK: Diageo breaks ground on Scotch whisky bottling plant
Johnnie Walker prepares for Fife move
Building work has begun on the GBP86m (US$124m) extension to Diageo's Scotch whisky bottling plant in Fife, which is set to create 400 jobs.
The move is part of Diageo's restructuring of its Scotch whisky operations, which is expected to lead to net job losses of around 500 - nearly a tenth of the firm's workforce in Scotland.
Diageo aims to open the new bottling hall at its Leven Fife plant in mid-2011 as part of a plan to concentrate bottling operations in Glasgow and Fife.
To make way for the extension, the firm will close its Johnnie Walker bottling plant in Kilmarnock.
Diageo last year stood firm on its decision to close the Johnnie Walker plant, which employs 700 people, following strong opposition to the move from Scotland's Government and trade unions. The firm will also close its Port Dundas distillery in Glasgow.
Earlier this year, Diageo confirmed to just-drinks that it had begun a voluntary redundancy scheme across Scotland to create vacancies for staff set to lose their jobs as part of the group's restructure in the country.
M&A activity within the beer sector this year has been limited to just the one big transaction, in Mexico. Larry Nelson believes, however, that 2010 could have served as the calm before the storm, wit...
Moet Hennessy has confirmed a change of leadership at its US unit....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends