UK: Diageo boss becomes Scotch Whisky Association chairman
The trade body said yesterday (10 January), that Paul Walsh will succeed the former joint MD of Pernod Ricard, Richard Burrows, who is due to retire from the position after completing six years in the role.
The Edrington Group's chief executive Ian Curle will take over Walsh's former role of SWA vice-chairman, added the SWA said.
Walsh said: "It is an honour to be invited by my industry colleagues to become chairman of the SWA at a time when new opportunities for Scotch whisky are developing worldwide. Scotch whisky is one of the country's leading export industries, with annual shipments of GBP2.5bn (US$4.89bn) representing a quarter of UK and two thirds of Scottish food and drink exports by value. I want to build on this success for the benefit of the economy as a whole."
Walsh added: "The SWA's continuing priority must be to set a positive agenda in support of all its members, large and small. In addition to its invaluable legal work protecting the integrity of Scotch Whisky, the association has an important role to play in tackling the barriers to trade that unfairly hold us back in our export markets. Equally, leadership in the promotion of responsible attitudes to alcohol consumption and environmental sustainability will continue to be key priorities in the coming year."
The entry of Diageo into the Irish whiskey market has further enlivened a sector already growing steadily thanks to the efforts of the other major global spirits force, Pernod Ricard. And a new report...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Diageo has begun trialling two new vodka flavours in a select number of pubs and bars in the UK....
Global financial services firm UBS has downgraded its rating on Diageo to 'neutral' from 'buy', according to dealers....
Burn Stewart Distillers is adding a 15-year-old Limited Edition Single Malt Scotch Whisky to its Tobermory Distillery range....
William Grant & Sons US has appointed Sam Simmons as the "first-ever" Balvenie brand ambassador....
The Glenmorangie Company has signed an agreement with Diageo for the sale of its 33-acre Broxburn facility in a bid to withdraw from the bottling and sale of blended Scotch whisky....
The Edrington Group has posted a lift in sales and profits for its latest full-year, despite rising cost pressures....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits