just On Call: Diageo boss 'ambivalent' over possible Whyte & Mackay sell-off
Diageo's CEO appeared unfussed about the prospect of not having Whyte & Mackay as part of the United Spirits deal
Asked about potential competition issues over taking on the UB Group-owned fellow Scotch producer, he told an investors' conference call: “We will have to have that discussion with the regulators – the deal is not hinging on Whyte & Mackay”. Disposing of it would not affect the deal's outcome, he said.
Later, he added: “We do not feel that we need Whyte & Mackay as a production resource... From a brand point of view, it has an interesting position in certain markets, but also we have brands that could occupy that space.
“We are somewhat ambivalent ... and we will look to see how the regulators feel about this and make our decision accordingly. Whyte & MacKay is not a swing issue here.”
Earlier today (9 November) Diageo announced it has agreed to acquire a 53.4% controlling stake in United Spirits for INR111.7bn (US$2.05bn), folllowing months of speculation.
Walsh was also asked about the prospect of getting 100% ownership of United Spirits in the future. But, he said Diageo had “no desire to drive to 100%”, adding that he is “comfortable” with part-ownership of United Spirits.
He added that the group also has no desire to "seek synergies" on beer with the UB Group's beer division. "That will not be on our agenda," Walsh said.
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research