UK: Diageo bids for OFT green light over Whyte & Mackay
Whyte & Mackay is owned by United Spirits. Diageo is now the biggest shareholder in the company
A Diageo spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks the group will be "engaging" with the OFT on the issue and will seek "formal clearance" in due course. "It would be inappropriate to comment further at the moment," the spokesperson added.
An OFT spokesperson said it has "no comment" at this stage.
Analysts Nomura said last year that it did not expect “major regulatory issues”, with Diageo's share of the global Scotch market at around 35.5%, compared to Whyte & Mackay's 1.2%.
However, Nomura said a sell-off of the Glasgow-based group would be the most likely scenario in the wake of the deal, with Gruppo Campari a potential buyer.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
Premium Tequila producer DeLeon has signed a partnership deal with rap artist and producer Sean 'Diddy' Combs, according to reports. ...
Heineken has announced the appointment of Loïc Latour to the post of president of its French distribution subsidiary, France Boissons....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets