UK: Diageo bids for OFT green light over Whyte & Mackay
Whyte & Mackay is owned by United Spirits. Diageo is now the biggest shareholder in the company
A Diageo spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks the group will be "engaging" with the OFT on the issue and will seek "formal clearance" in due course. "It would be inappropriate to comment further at the moment," the spokesperson added.
An OFT spokesperson said it has "no comment" at this stage.
Analysts Nomura said last year that it did not expect “major regulatory issues”, with Diageo's share of the global Scotch market at around 35.5%, compared to Whyte & Mackay's 1.2%.
However, Nomura said a sell-off of the Glasgow-based group would be the most likely scenario in the wake of the deal, with Gruppo Campari a potential buyer.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Premium Tequila producer DeLeon has signed a partnership deal with rap artist and producer Sean 'Diddy' Combs, according to reports. ...
Heineken has announced the appointment of Loïc Latour to the post of president of its French distribution subsidiary, France Boissons....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends