UK: Diageo bids for OFT green light over Whyte & Mackay
Whyte & Mackay is owned by United Spirits. Diageo is now the biggest shareholder in the company
A Diageo spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks the group will be "engaging" with the OFT on the issue and will seek "formal clearance" in due course. "It would be inappropriate to comment further at the moment," the spokesperson added.
An OFT spokesperson said it has "no comment" at this stage.
Analysts Nomura said last year that it did not expect “major regulatory issues”, with Diageo's share of the global Scotch market at around 35.5%, compared to Whyte & Mackay's 1.2%.
However, Nomura said a sell-off of the Glasgow-based group would be the most likely scenario in the wake of the deal, with Gruppo Campari a potential buyer.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Premium Tequila producer DeLeon has signed a partnership deal with rap artist and producer Sean 'Diddy' Combs, according to reports. ...
Heineken has announced the appointment of Loïc Latour to the post of president of its French distribution subsidiary, France Boissons....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research