BRAZIL: Diageo backs away from Schincariol
Diageo unlikely to move for Schincariol
Diageo has decided not to pursue Brazil's second largest brewer, Schincariol.
The Guinness brewer had shown interest in Schincariol, which has publicly put itself up for sale, but has decided to back off, just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation.
Late last week, a report by Bloomberg said that disagreements within Schincariol's ruling family has extinguished Diageo's initial interest.
Most multinational brewers will take a look at any beer asset that becomes available in what is a highly consolidated industry.
Heineken and SABMiller have also been touted as potential bidders for Schincariol. The brewer accounts for 11% of beer sales by volume in Brazil, putting it a long way behind the market leader, Anheuser-Busch InBev's AmBev, which has a 70% share.
However, Schincariol represents a rare opportunity to gain a footprint of any significance in Brazil, which is viewed as a strongly emerging beer market. Schincariol could be worth around US$2bn, according to a Sunday Times report published in April this year. However, Bloomberg reported that a sale might fetch as much as $4bn.
Diageo declined to comment on the matter.
Ten years on and the legacy of Pernod Ricard and Diageo's carve-up of Seagram is still being felt....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research