UK: Diageo backs away from 'flavoured' Scotch move
Don't expect any 'flavoured' Scotch whisky expressions from Diageo
Diageo has distanced itself from entering the 'flavoured' Scotch whisky arena, as Bacardi readies a honey-”infused” expression of its Dewar's Scotch brand.
Late last week, Bacardi confirmed its plans to launch Dewar's Highlander Honey, described as “Dewar’s Scotch Whisky infused with Scottish Heather Honey filtered through Oak Cask Wood”. The new expression, which will be available in the US next month, comprises Dewar's White Label Scotch, mixed with Scottish honey.
It marks the first time that one of the major spirits companies has released a Scotch that has been blended with honey.
However, speaking to just-drinks yesterday (20 March), Diageo's head of whisky outreach, Dr Nicholas Morgan, said that the company has "no plans for 'flavoured' variants of any of its Scotch brands”.
“(Scotch) is a global category built over 100 years and based on integrity and authenticity,” said Morgan. “While the consumer views American and Irish whiskies as more 'relaxed', that latitude is not extended to the Scotch whisky category.”
Morgan noted Diageo's success with Bushmills Irish Honey, Crown Royal Maple Finish and Seagram's Seven Crown Dark Honey and Stone Cherry, but emphasised that new introductions, such as Talisker Storm, illustrated the room for innovation open to Scotch whisky brands within the existing regulations.
"Through distillation, maturation and wood regimes, there is huge scope for innovation within the category," he said.
Launching in the coming weeks. Talisker Storm is a single malt Scotch that does not have an age statement, which is set to be rolled out across Europe.
The Drinktec exhibition is taking place across all of this week in Munich. To coincide with the event, just-drinks' management briefing this month takes a look at the drinks packaging category. In thi...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review