UK: Diageo avoids Whyte & Mackay action until OFT probe ends
A question mark hangs over the future of Whyte & Mackay
Diageo has confirmed that Whyte & Mackay's (W&M) “independence” will remain and its management kept separate, at least until the UK's competition authority has completed its review.
Speculation has been mounting over the future of the Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer after Diageo completed the acquisition of a major stake in its parent company, United Spirits, last month. It emerged last week that W&M's CEO, John Beard, had left the company, with no explanation given.
At the weekend, reports suggested that chairman of the UB Group, Dr Vijay Mallya, had stepped down from W&M's board, along with director Ayani Nedungadi. Nobody from W&M or Diageo has been able to confirm the report.
In a statement to just-drinks today (13 August), a Diageo spokesperson said: “The OFT is currently reviewing the UK aspects of Diageo’s shareholding in United Spirits Limited, which is standard procedure in such matters.
“As part of this process, Diageo has given undertakings to maintain the separate management and independence of Whyte and Mackay during the OFT review.”
The OFT probe is due to be completed by mid-September.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid - albeit slightly bigger and more frightening - target in i...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research