UK: Diageo avoids Whyte & Mackay action until OFT probe ends
A question mark hangs over the future of Whyte & Mackay
Speculation has been mounting over the future of the Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer after Diageo completed the acquisition of a major stake in its parent company, United Spirits, last month. It emerged last week that W&M's CEO, John Beard, had left the company, with no explanation given.
At the weekend, reports suggested that chairman of the UB Group, Dr Vijay Mallya, had stepped down from W&M's board, along with director Ayani Nedungadi. Nobody from W&M or Diageo has been able to confirm the report.
In a statement to just-drinks today (13 August), a Diageo spokesperson said: “The OFT is currently reviewing the UK aspects of Diageo’s shareholding in United Spirits Limited, which is standard procedure in such matters.
“As part of this process, Diageo has given undertakings to maintain the separate management and independence of Whyte and Mackay during the OFT review.”
The OFT probe is due to be completed by mid-September.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid - albeit slightly bigger and more frightening - target in i...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts