UK: Diageo avoids Whyte & Mackay action until OFT probe ends
A question mark hangs over the future of Whyte & Mackay
Speculation has been mounting over the future of the Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer after Diageo completed the acquisition of a major stake in its parent company, United Spirits, last month. It emerged last week that W&M's CEO, John Beard, had left the company, with no explanation given.
At the weekend, reports suggested that chairman of the UB Group, Dr Vijay Mallya, had stepped down from W&M's board, along with director Ayani Nedungadi. Nobody from W&M or Diageo has been able to confirm the report.
In a statement to just-drinks today (13 August), a Diageo spokesperson said: “The OFT is currently reviewing the UK aspects of Diageo’s shareholding in United Spirits Limited, which is standard procedure in such matters.
“As part of this process, Diageo has given undertakings to maintain the separate management and independence of Whyte and Mackay during the OFT review.”
The OFT probe is due to be completed by mid-September.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid - albeit slightly bigger and more frightening - target in i...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report