UK: Diageo avoids Whyte & Mackay action until OFT probe ends
A question mark hangs over the future of Whyte & Mackay
Speculation has been mounting over the future of the Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer after Diageo completed the acquisition of a major stake in its parent company, United Spirits, last month. It emerged last week that W&M's CEO, John Beard, had left the company, with no explanation given.
At the weekend, reports suggested that chairman of the UB Group, Dr Vijay Mallya, had stepped down from W&M's board, along with director Ayani Nedungadi. Nobody from W&M or Diageo has been able to confirm the report.
In a statement to just-drinks today (13 August), a Diageo spokesperson said: “The OFT is currently reviewing the UK aspects of Diageo’s shareholding in United Spirits Limited, which is standard procedure in such matters.
“As part of this process, Diageo has given undertakings to maintain the separate management and independence of Whyte and Mackay during the OFT review.”
The OFT probe is due to be completed by mid-September.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid - albeit slightly bigger and more frightening - target in i...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research