UK: Diageo attacks naughty rogue Guinness ad
The UK-based company said today (1 August) that it has asked video upload website Youtube to remove an ad for Guinness, which links the beer to an orgy.
The one-minute-long footage, which has a bottle of Guinness balanced on the back of a naked, gently rocking woman, was uploaded onto Youtube yesterday.
"Guinness is in no way associated with this video, and approached YouTube to have it removed," a spokesperson for Diageo told just-drinks today. "We are proud of our brands, and our commitment to responsible marketing, and this is not how we want our brand portrayed.
"We made this clear in a statement on the video's site as soon as it was drawn to our attention, the producer of the video also made it clear that the material was not associated with Guinness."
Although the spokesperson said that the original video has now been removed from YouTube, the footage can still be viewed on the website.
Tax hikes have taken centre stage in discussions between the alcohol industry and several national and state governments around the world over the last year. Michelle Russell reports on a global trend...
Drinks industry body the Portman Group has leapt to the defence of former chief executive Baroness Coussins over her active role in shaping drinks labelling legislation in the House of Lords....
Children aged under 15 should never be given alcohol, is the message from the UK's chief medical officer....
Diageo has begun building a GBP65m bioenergy facility designed to supply the majority of electricity and steam needs at the drinks giant's Cameronbridge Distillery....
Diageo has confirmed that "discussions" with India's UB Group are ongoing....
Diageo has split its Continental Europe division into two units....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Vijay's Mallya's son, Siddharth, is working on the Guinness brand after gaining a place on Diageo's graduate trainee scheme....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018