INDIA: Diageo agrees US$2.05bn deal for United Spirits stake
Diageo has finally agreed a deal with United Spirits
Under the long-awaited deal, Diageo will take a 27.4% share in United Spirits for INR57.25bn (US$1.05bn). It will then be obliged to launch a mandatory tender offer to the Indian group's shareholders, representing another 26% of the company.
Diageo would then hold a controlling 53.4% stake in United Spirits.
Vijay Mallya will continue as the group's chairman and “work with Diageo to build the USL business as the current consumer trends for premiumisation accelerate in India”, the companies said.
Paul Walsh, Diageo's chief executive, said today he was “delighted” his company has the opportunity to “be part of India’s large and growing local spirits market”.
He added: “As a result of the agreements we are announcing today we will be well positioned to take the growth opportunities presented by a spirits market where growth is driven by the increasing number of middle-class consumers.”
Mallya said: “'I am very proud of USL and what has been created over the last 30 years to bring this company to its pre-eminent position in India.
“I have had a long association with Diageo and therefore I am confident that this winning partnership with Diageo provides USL with the best possible platform for future growth. I am delighted to remain part of that journey as chairman of USL as we work together to build continued value for the shareholders of USL and UBHL.”
The deal remains subject to regulatory approval, but is expected to complete in the first calendar quarter of 2013.
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets