UK: Diageo admits voting for own Scotch brands in Drammies
Diageo has been forced to apologise to the organisers of a Scotch whisky awards, for voting repeatedly for its own brands.
Kevin Erskine, the owner of thescotchblog.com, noticed earlier this week that a raft of votes for the upcoming 'Drammies' had been sent from the same URL, at Diageo. Speaking to The Guardian, Erskine said: "I noticed some of the votes were coming in with the same format, the same two addresses and the same votes. They were clever enough to use different names each time, but the URL was the same."
When contacted by just-drinks today (16 January), a spokesperson for Diageo said: "What we have here is an over-exuberant brand manager in the US who sent an ill-advised round-robin note to a number of his colleagues urging them to vote for our brands in the Drammies.
"We certainly don't condone this behaviour, and have apologised to the organisers of the Drammies."
Diageo's Johnnie Walker Scotch brand has been nominated for a Drammie.
The entry of Diageo into the Irish whiskey market has further enlivened a sector already growing steadily thanks to the efforts of the other major global spirits force, Pernod Ricard. And a new report...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Diageo has begun trialling two new vodka flavours in a select number of pubs and bars in the UK....
Global financial services firm UBS has downgraded its rating on Diageo to 'neutral' from 'buy', according to dealers....
Burn Stewart Distillers is adding a 15-year-old Limited Edition Single Malt Scotch Whisky to its Tobermory Distillery range....
William Grant & Sons US has appointed Sam Simmons as the "first-ever" Balvenie brand ambassador....
The Glenmorangie Company has signed an agreement with Diageo for the sale of its 33-acre Broxburn facility in a bid to withdraw from the bottling and sale of blended Scotch whisky....
The Edrington Group has posted a lift in sales and profits for its latest full-year, despite rising cost pressures....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- Sapporo’s Sapporo Premium Black - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages