Exclusive - US: Dewar's Highlander Honey gets okay from SWA
Click through to view Dewar's Highlander Honey
The Scotch Whisky Association has clarified that Bacardi's Dewar's Highlander Honey is not in breach of laws defining the term 'Scotch whisky'.
Earlier today (15 March), just-drinks revealed that Bacardi has lined up the launch of Dewar's Highlander Honey. The extension of the Dewar's Scotch brand is described as “Dewar’s Scotch Whisky infused with Scottish Heather Honey filtered through Oak Cask Wood”.
The Scotch Whisky Order of 1990, which has since been updated by The Scotch Whisky Regulations, states: “Scotch whisky” means whisky to which no substance other than water and spirit caramel has been added."
However, a spokesperson for the SWA has told just-drinks that the new product does not break any laws regarding the definition of Scotch. "The product does not breach any defined descriptions for Scotch whisky in the US, because it is not Scotch whisky," the spokesperson said. "It's a new product made from Scotch whisky, along the same lines as Drambuie, for example.
"It's actually a spirit drink, we believe it states this somewhere on the labelling. The regulations only cover Scotch whisky, and it's not being sold as Scotch whisky.
"There is no issue with it saying it contains Scotch whisky, because those kind of products have been around for years."
Earlier today (4 September), the Scotch Whisky Association released details on Scotch exports in the six months to the end of June. Here, courtesy of the trade body, is a table of the 20 largest marke...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
For a category that sells around 146.4m cases annually, it may seem unusual to characterise Rum as a relatively unexploited opportunity. Indeed it is already a diverse and eclectic category with a wid...
Diageo and Pernod Ricard have teamed up with other Scotch whisky makers to start twice-weekly shipments from Speyside by train....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research