Exclusive - US: Dewar's Highlander Honey gets okay from SWA
Click through to view Dewar's Highlander Honey
The Scotch Whisky Association has clarified that Bacardi's Dewar's Highlander Honey is not in breach of laws defining the term 'Scotch whisky'.
Earlier today (15 March), just-drinks revealed that Bacardi has lined up the launch of Dewar's Highlander Honey. The extension of the Dewar's Scotch brand is described as “Dewar’s Scotch Whisky infused with Scottish Heather Honey filtered through Oak Cask Wood”.
The Scotch Whisky Order of 1990, which has since been updated by The Scotch Whisky Regulations, states: “Scotch whisky” means whisky to which no substance other than water and spirit caramel has been added."
However, a spokesperson for the SWA has told just-drinks that the new product does not break any laws regarding the definition of Scotch. "The product does not breach any defined descriptions for Scotch whisky in the US, because it is not Scotch whisky," the spokesperson said. "It's a new product made from Scotch whisky, along the same lines as Drambuie, for example.
"It's actually a spirit drink, we believe it states this somewhere on the labelling. The regulations only cover Scotch whisky, and it's not being sold as Scotch whisky.
"There is no issue with it saying it contains Scotch whisky, because those kind of products have been around for years."
Earlier today (4 September), the Scotch Whisky Association released details on Scotch exports in the six months to the end of June. Here, courtesy of the trade body, is a table of the 20 largest marke...
Diageo and Pernod Ricard have teamed up with other Scotch whisky makers to start twice-weekly shipments from Speyside by train....
Bacardi has launched the latest global push for its Dewar's Scotch whisky brand....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Suntory, Asahi settle court fight - report
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends