GLOBAL: Developed economies staring at decade of "lost growth"
Western economies must take decisive action if they are to avoid slipping back into recession in 2012 and a decade of stagnation, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned.
The international body said today (20 September) that the world economy is in a "dangerous new phase", as it pegged back growth projections for many developed economies and warned that fresh recession is a risk for next year. The eurozone debt crisis, which worsened today after Italy was downgraded by Standard & Poor's, together with high debt levels in the US, are causing concern.
"Only if governments move decisively on fiscal policy, financial repairs, and external rebalancing, can we hope for stronger and more robust recovery,” said IMF chief economist Olivier Blanchard. For 2011, the body said that developed economies face "anaemic" growth in gross domestic product, of just 1.6%.
It warned of a "decade of lost growth" in advanced economies. The strongly-worded report echoes renewed concern across markets and companies. Earlier this month, PepsiCo's CFO, Hugh Johnston, told analysts: "The outlook has been degrading over the last six months and it's now clear the developed markets have little growth."
Click play, below, to view the thoughts of PepsiCo's CEO, Indra Nooyi, on the company's structural changes announced earlier today (12 March)....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent the last 20 years diversifying its portfolio. Where once the rest of the stable cowered in Coke's shadow, more of the company's brands are now grabbing the spotlight and del...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review