ITALY: Destocking hampers Davide Campari-Milano in Q1
Davide Campari-Milano has posted what it has described as an "overall satisfactory" set of results for its first quarter, as destocking dragged on its performance.
The Italy-based wine and spirits company said today (13 May) that pre-tax profits for the three months to the end of March came in 4.1% down on the corresponding quarter a year earlier, totalling EUR38.4m (US$52.2m). Net sales for the quarter dipped slightly, by 0.4% to EUR190.1m.
Operating profits, or EBIT, also headed south, dropping by 5.4% to EUR42.6m.
Spirits sales climbed by 3.5%, driven by an 8.2% lift in sales for Campari's Skyy vodka brand. The company's namesake bitter brand, however, suffered a 3.5% fall in sales. Cabo Wabo Tequila, meanwhile, suffered badly from destocking, seeing sales in the quarter plunge by 70%.
On the wine front, sales dropped by 9.4%, while soft drinks sales were down by 6.6%.
"Going forward, we expect to benefit from the consumption momentum behind key brands, the reduction of destocking pressure as well as an improving input costs and currency outlook," said company CEO, Bob Kunze-Concewitz. "However, we will maintain a cautious stance, with focus on cost containment, working capital and cash generation throughout the year".
Having not made a major acquisition for a couple of years, Campari was back in the spotlight last month when it acquired Wild Turkey Bourbon from Pernod Ricard. Campari CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz spoke w...
The spirits industry, like other industries, has been hit by the current global economic crisis. Euromonitor International's latest global briefing, 'Global Opportunities for Leading Spirits Players d...
Swedish distributor Nigab has extended its relationship with Gruppo Campari in the country....
Gruppo Campari has updated the look of the website for its namesake spirits brand....
Having expected to fly into a resolutely downbeat mood at this year's Tax Free World Association expo in Cannes, just-drinks discovered that many drinks companies are nurturing a growing sense of opti...
Campari intends to expand the presence of its recently-acquired Wild Turkey Bourbon in the duty free sector, the deputy MD of the Italian group's international business has told just-drinks....
BrewDog has announced the arrival of two US investors, and the launch of a share sale to raise equity....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research