FRANCE: Danone Waters sales growth boosted by emerging markets
- Like-for-like sales up 2.3%
- Volume growth driven by emerging markets
- Cautious of a “challenging” 2010
Sales increased 2.3% for the quarter
Danone Waters has recorded a rise in sales for the first quarter, boosted by strong volume growth in its emerging markets.
Sales for the quarter increased by 2.3%, on a like-for-like basis, based on “strong” volume growth of 8.5% offset by a negative value effect of -6.2%, Danone said today (15 April).
Volume growth continued to be driven by the emerging markets (55% of the divisional sales), which continued to deliver strong volume and sales growth, despite poor weather conditions in Mexico in January and February.
However, the environment continued to remain “very challenging” in Japan, the firm said, and to a lesser extent in Spain, thereby having a continued negative effect on value (mainly country mix) growth.
For the first three months of 2010, Danone Groupe reported consolidated sales increased by 8.3% to EUR3.98bn (US$5.40bn). Excluding the effects of changes in exchange rates, total sales increased by 7% on a like-for-like basis.
Danone said it will continue to face a “challenging” financial, economic and social environment in 2010, with “continued difficult consumption trends” in western economies, weak emerging currencies and inflation of raw materials.
Last month, Danone announced that it is to join forces with US firm Chiquita Brands International to market fruit-based drinks for the European market.
Click here to read the full release and check back later for further insight into Danone’s first quarter results.
Stevia supplier PureCircle has signed another venture to market sweeteners, this time with German food ingredients group Dohler....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review