FRANCE: Danone Waters sales growth boosted by emerging markets
- Like-for-like sales up 2.3%
- Volume growth driven by emerging markets
- Cautious of a “challenging” 2010
Sales increased 2.3% for the quarter
Danone Waters has recorded a rise in sales for the first quarter, boosted by strong volume growth in its emerging markets.
Sales for the quarter increased by 2.3%, on a like-for-like basis, based on “strong” volume growth of 8.5% offset by a negative value effect of -6.2%, Danone said today (15 April).
Volume growth continued to be driven by the emerging markets (55% of the divisional sales), which continued to deliver strong volume and sales growth, despite poor weather conditions in Mexico in January and February.
However, the environment continued to remain “very challenging” in Japan, the firm said, and to a lesser extent in Spain, thereby having a continued negative effect on value (mainly country mix) growth.
For the first three months of 2010, Danone Groupe reported consolidated sales increased by 8.3% to EUR3.98bn (US$5.40bn). Excluding the effects of changes in exchange rates, total sales increased by 7% on a like-for-like basis.
Danone said it will continue to face a “challenging” financial, economic and social environment in 2010, with “continued difficult consumption trends” in western economies, weak emerging currencies and inflation of raw materials.
Last month, Danone announced that it is to join forces with US firm Chiquita Brands International to market fruit-based drinks for the European market.
Click here to read the full release and check back later for further insight into Danone’s first quarter results.
Stevia supplier PureCircle has signed another venture to market sweeteners, this time with German food ingredients group Dohler....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts