CHINA: Danone to appeal latest Wahaha ruling
A Danone spokesperson in China told just-drinks today (8 January) that the firm would appeal a December ruling made against it by the High Court of the British Virgin Islands.
The move is the latest in a long-running trademark dispute between Danone and its joint-venture partner in China, Wahaha. The firms signed a deal in 1996, but Danone has since alleged that Wahaha illegally copied products and sold them outside of the venture.
As part of an increasingly global battle, Danone obtained permission to freeze assets of nine companies linked to Wahaha in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). December's High Court ruling revoked this permission.
A Danone spokesperson said today that the ruling "does not undermine Danone's intention to maintain and continue the substantive action against the nine company defendants in the BVI".
An arbitration court in Stockholm, Sweden, is set to hear the dispute between Danone and Wahaha early this year. Wahaha has called the hearing a "critical" point in the feud, while both firms claim to have the upper hand.
The Danone spokesperson said: "[Danone] looks forward to having the substantive issues in dispute finally brought to a full hearing on its facts so it can be vindicated in full."
The bottled water industry in the US appears to be doing a good job of defending the sector against criticism from environmental campaigners, as underlined by recent sales figures. But Annette Farr is...
A claim by Chinese firm Wahaha that it has won its trademark dispute against Danone has been dismissed by the French dairy and water giant....
Tata Tea plans to expand from its tea and coffee heartland and compete globally in the 'ready-to-drink' beverages market....
Danone Waters of America has appointed two vice presidents....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Danone has confirmed that its Taillefine bottled water will be withdrawn from sale in order to conform with EU legislation....
Wahaha's chairman, Zong Qinghou, has emerged victorious from the Chinese company's latest battle with joint venture partner Danone in a China court....
French bottled water and dairy firm Danone has confirmed that it will pay a 2008 dividend of EUR1.20 per share....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends