FRANCE: Danone snaps up Algerian bottle firm
Groupe Danone has completed the acquisition of Algerian bottled water company Tessala from the Algad beverages group.
The French drinks firm will acquire a bottling plant as well as the rights to water source close to Alger with a production potential of over 500m litres per year, for an undisclosed fee.
The first bottles will be distributed during the summer under the Hayet brand in Algeria, where the premium water market is proceeding with over 30% annual growth.
It follows two recent Danone investments in the country, including a raised interest in dairy company Danone Djurdjura, and the creation of a new biscuit company in the Alger area.
"This acquisition is in line with the objective of strengthening the company's position in North Africa and Middle East, in particular helping to reinforce its position in Algeria through the presence of its three businesses," the company said.
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are looking to expand their presence in the European water market, where they both lag some way behind market leaders Danone and Nestlé. Coca-Cola has made a number of important ...
Chinese food giant Tingyi Holdings is looking to more than double its sales of bottled water in the next three years....
A look at this month's new beverage products includes the Cocaine controversy in the US, a newly-sized water targeting men in the UK and a Brazilian octagonally-packaged water....
Russian soft drinks producer Wimm-Bill-Dann has said that unnamed shareholders will sell a 10% stake in the company to boost liquidity....
Drinks outperformed the rest of Groupe Danone's business during its third-quarter, as the French company reported rising sales for the three months to 30 September....
Despite a significant rise in marketing costs, C&C has reported a 66% rise in first half operating profits to EUR113.5m (US$142.2m) and a 77% rise in adjusted earnings per share to 28.7 cent. The grou...
Groupe Danone has bought a stake in Danish water group Aqua d'or....
Eastern Europe is set to provide impressive growth for bottled water companies, according to a recent report. Sales of bottled water last year in the region rose by 9%, a report by drinks analyst Zeni...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends