FRANCE/US: Danone silent on return of PepsiCo talk
Groupe Danone has refused to comment on reports claiming that PepsiCo remains interested in buying the French food company.
Rumours have resurfaced in France linking PepsiCo with a possible takeover of Danone, two years after the US company's alleged interest in the company sparked much speculation in the business press.
Late last week, French business radio channel BFM claimed PepsiCo is still keen on buying Danone to enable it to "overtake" arch-rival Coca-Cola Co.
"Never has Pepsi's appetite for Danone been so strong," an unnamed source is believed to have told the station.
Danone, however, refused to be drawn on the report. "We have no comment to make," a spokesperson in Paris told just-drinks' sister site just-food this morning (9 July).
Two years ago, PepsiCo's rumoured interest in Danone forced the French government to state that it would protect the company from any overseas takeover bid.
Officials at PepsiCo could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
A group of 11 major food and drinks companies have launched a new self-regulatory initiative in Europe under which they will voluntary make changes to how and what they advertise directly to children....
Coke's choice of Muhtar Kent as its next CEO ensures a smooth transition from Neville Isdell, and has gone down well with the company's bottling partners. But while the promotion of a chief operating ...
Groupe Danone and its Chinese venture partner, Hangzhou Wahaha, have called a truce on their long-running feud,...
UK tap water has come up near the top in a blind taste test, according to local reports....
Groupe Danone has dismissed a lawsuit from the trade union of its joint venture in China as "totally groundless", and has called for calm in the long-running saga....
Groupe Danone has said it is "highly concerned" about the latest reports regarding the ongoing clash with its partner in China....
Food and beverage giant PepsiCo has announced the appointment of Dr Mehmood Khan as chief scientific officer, a newly-created role....
The Coca-Cola Co. has successfully appealed against a court ruling in Argentina that said a campaign by Danone had not affected sales of Coca-Cola's Dasani water brand in the country....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future