FRANCE: Danone profits dive on water writedown
A write down in its home and office water delivery business (HOD) saw France's Groupe Danone report a fall in net profit of 62% for its full year to €317m (US$405m) from €839m a year earlier.
The write down, which was announced in January, was for a total of €600m (US$766m). If the writedown is excluded then the water giant would have reported a rise in net income of 9% to €917m.
Operating profit grew to €1.71bn (US$2.18bn) from €1.6bn a year ago.
The food and drinks group's beverage division, which includes the packaged water business, was hit by higher costs and negative exchange rate movements, which saw its operating margin fall.
Looking forward, however, the company said that it expects earnings per share to rise 10% this year on the back of sales growth of 5% and 7%. Danone's board also expects the company's profit margins to improve.
Danone said today it plans to raise its annual dividend by 10% to €1.35 a share.
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
PepsiCo has denied press reports that it is looking to acquire Groupe Danone....
In a tough market for the home and office delivery segment of the US water market, Danone may have to cut the value of its subsidiary DS Waters, the UK's Financial Times reported today....
Groupe Danone is pulling out of the brewing industry....
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends