CHINA: Danone J-V partner seeks arbitration
Danone's China adventure has taken yet another colourful turn.
Hangzhou Wahaha, Danone's partner in a joint venture in the country, said yesterday (13 June) that it will seek arbitration in its long-running clash with the French company. Earlier this month, Danone filed a lawsuit against Hangzhou Wahaha, alleging that it is illegally selling products which are the same as those sold by the joint ventures and is making unlawful use of the joint ventures' distributors and suppliers.
Speaking at a press briefing in the city of Hangzhou, Zong Qing Hou, chairman of Hangzhou Wahaha, said: "We will file with the Hangzhou Arbitration Commission as soon as possible." Speaking beneath a banner that read: "Steadfastly resist Danone's hostile takeover and resolutely protect the brand name of Wahaha," Zong accused Danone of harming his reputation.
"There is no way back," he continued. "We will try our best to be responsible to our employees and preserve the Wahaha brand name."
Zong resigned from his position as chairman of the joint venture earlier this month.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Danone declined to comment on the matter. "The situation is no different to when we issued a statement earlier this week," the spokesperson said. "We have nothing to add."
Established in 1996, the Danone Wahaha joint venture is 49%-owned by Zong, with Danone holding 51%. The Wahaha brand covers water, lactic beverages, energy drinks and RTD teas in China.
Although a small sector in volume terms, the energy drinks category punches above its weight in the global soft drinks market in value, and has outpaced market growth for many years. While the rate of...
AG Barr has seen its sales slow during the summer, thanks to the poor weather in the UK....
Florida-based soft drinks producer National Beverage Corp. has reported a 13% rise in net income for the second quarter to US$6.5m, on sales up 6% at $143.5m....
The US has overtaken Thailand as the global leader for energy drink sales, according to an industry report....
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
Danone has received the backing of the president of France, while embroiled in its current legal battle with China's Wahaha, according to reports....
Danone has won a court order that has frozen the assets of ten overseas firms with alleged links to the French group's estranged Chinese partner, Wahaha....
Groupe Danone is set to release a limited edition bottle for its Evian water brand, designed by French fashion designer Christian Lacroix, to rollout in Canada's "high-end grocery stores, restaurants,...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review