FRANCE: Danone hoping for amicable Wahaha settlement
The French company said yesterday (11 June) that it hopes an "amicable settlement may be possible" to the dispute. On 4 June, Danone filed a lawsuit against the owners of its joint-venture partner, Hangzhou Wahaha, alleging that it is illegally selling products which are the same as those sold by the joint ventures and is making unlawful use of the joint ventures' distributors and suppliers.
Four days later, the chairman of the joint venture, Zong Qing Hou, resigned, accusing Danone of "bullying and slander". Zong also said he would respond to arbitration proceedings filed by Danone in Stockholm "so Danone won't win for sure and we won't lose for sure."
Zong is also the chairman of Hangzhou Wahaha.
"With regard to Mr. Zong's open letter dated Friday (8 June), we welcome his recognition of the validity of the Stockholm arbitration procedure," Danone said yesterday. "Other than that, the facts stated in this letter are either incomplete, twisted, out of context, or simply untrue."
The French company said it understood the "genuine emotion and concern" caused by Zhong's resignation. "However we think that it is inappropriate for anyone to seek to leverage employees, business partners and the public to support their goal of maximising their own personal wealth, while endangering the business continuity of the company, and raising antagonistic sentiments against individuals, companies or nations," Danone added.
"With due government support, we continue to believe an amicable settlement may be possible," the company said, adding that it will call for a board meeting with the joint venture's Chinese directors to "address the current business and management situation".
The Danone Wahaha joint venture is 49%-owned by Zong, with Danone holding 51%. The Wahaha brand covers water, lactic beverages, energy drinks and RTD teas in China.
AG Barr has seen its sales slow during the summer, thanks to the poor weather in the UK....
Florida-based soft drinks producer National Beverage Corp. has reported a 13% rise in net income for the second quarter to US$6.5m, on sales up 6% at $143.5m....
The US has overtaken Thailand as the global leader for energy drink sales, according to an industry report....
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
Danone has received the backing of the president of France, while embroiled in its current legal battle with China's Wahaha, according to reports....
Danone has won a court order that has frozen the assets of ten overseas firms with alleged links to the French group's estranged Chinese partner, Wahaha....
Groupe Danone is set to release a limited edition bottle for its Evian water brand, designed by French fashion designer Christian Lacroix, to rollout in Canada's "high-end grocery stores, restaurants,...
Global bottled water consumption has continued to increase, with Asia/Australasia and North America leading the markets, according to a recent report....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages