CHINA/FRANCE: Danone, Hangzhou Wahaha call for truce in bitter row
The two companies announced late last week that they have agreed to "temporarily suspend all lawsuits and arbitration, stop all aggressive and hostile statements and create a friendly environment for peace talks".
Relations between Danone and Hangzhou Wahaha have been poor for most of 2007, with the French company accusing Hangzhou Wahaha of operating competing firms against the companies' joint venture drinks firms in China.
In April, Danone said that it was looking to integrate companies owned by Hangzhou Wahaha's chairman, Zong Qinghou, into their joint venture. The move was resisted by Zong, leading to Danone starting legal proceedings in May, accusing Hangzhou Wahaha of illegally selling its products, "which are the same as the joint venture's products under Wahaha trademark, without proper authorisation".
Hangzhou Wahaha dismissed the allegation, and countersued Danone in June, claiming up to EUR5bn (US$6.73bn) in damages for what it termed "illegal activities". The fight between the two has grown ever more acrimonious throughout 2007, leading even to French President Nicolas Sarkozy raising the matter at a meeting last month with China's president Hu Jintao.
Danone and Hangzhou Wahaha said on Friday (21 December) that they had agreed to "carry out the talks on the basis of adhering to the principles of equality and mutual benefits, to seek common grounds by tolerating minor differences, to reach mutual understandings and to strive for the success of peace talks".
"Both parties will work together to further develop all entities operating under the Wahaha brands and contribute to develop the Sino-French friendship and promote the co operation between the companies of the two countries," the firms concluded.
The Master Kong brand has outperformed domestic and international competitors alike in the Chinese RTD tea category and is also diversifying into new beverage sectors, extending an already multi-facet...
Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods has said that it will resist future takeover moves from multinationals looking to expand in Russia....
Danone has remained mum on rumours that the French food giant is looking to exit its partnership with Wahaha....
Groupe Danone has refused to comment on reports that it has decided to pull out of its commercial relationship with Chinese joint venture partner Hangzhou Wahaha....
Danone has denied reports it is to scrap its V energy drink after reports this week that the beverage and food giant was axing it as a result of the product's flagging performance....
Danone is said to be axing its V energy drink as result of the product's flagging performance, Marketing Week reported....
Groupe Danone has reiterated its sales and profits targets for this year....
Groupe Danone has issued a Euro bond....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends