FRANCE: Danone files China JV lawsuit
Groupe Danone has filed a lawsuit against the owner of one of its partners in China.
The France-based company confirmed yesterday (4 June) that it has filed a complaint in the US against Ever Maple Trading and Hangzhou Hongsheng Beverage Co.
Danone owns 51% of a joint venture in China with Hangzhou Wahaha, which is a subsidiary of Hangzhou Hongsheng, itself controlled by British Virgin Islands-based Ever Maple Trading.
"Hangzhou Wahaha Food and Beverage Sales is illegally selling products which are the same as those sold by Wahaha Joint Ventures and is making unlawful use of the joint ventures' distributors and suppliers," Danone said.
The company added that it hopes to "put a stop to the defendants' collective scheme to wrongfully interfere with its customer relationships and business prospects".
Last month, Danone instructed the chairman of the Wahaha joint venture, Zong Qinghou, to start legal action against Hangzhou Wahaha. The company set a time-frame for the instruction of 30 days.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for the company said: "Discussions between ourselves and Mr Zong (who is also the head of Hangzhou Wahaha) are still going on."
Following the recent floods in the UK, bottled water companies provided emergency supplies when mains water services broke down. Their largely unsung actions gave the companies a chance to demonstrate...
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
Danone has received the backing of the president of France, while embroiled in its current legal battle with China's Wahaha, according to reports....
Danone has won a court order that has frozen the assets of ten overseas firms with alleged links to the French group's estranged Chinese partner, Wahaha....
Groupe Danone is set to release a limited edition bottle for its Evian water brand, designed by French fashion designer Christian Lacroix, to rollout in Canada's "high-end grocery stores, restaurants,...
Global bottled water consumption has continued to increase, with Asia/Australasia and North America leading the markets, according to a recent report....
Groupe Danone has seen the poor weather in Europe and its ongoing dispute in China take a huge chunk out of its third quarter sales....
The popularity of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) among soft drinks producers is on the wane, according to recent research....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research