CHINA: Danone dismisses Wahaha victory claim
Wahaha said late last week that a it has won a fresh ruling in the Hangzhou Intermediate People's Court of Zhejiang Province, China.
"At this point, the dispute over ownership of trademark "Wahaha" between Danone and Wahaha is finally settled," said the Chinese group.
However, When contacted by just-drinks, a Danone spokesperson in China said that the long-running dispute is far from finished.
Danone, which signed a joint venture deal with Wahaha in 1996, is involved in legal disputes with the company in several countries around the world. Danone has accused Wahaha of operating subsidiaries outside of its joint venture and illegally copying products that the two firms' had agreed would only be sold within the venture.
A Danone spokesperson told just-drinks today (22 June): "We hope to point out that the Trademark Transfer Agreement is an ancillary contract under Joint Venture Contract."
"Even though Hangzhou Arbitration Commission ruled that the Trademark Transfer Agreement was terminated, it does not absolve Wahaha Group from its obligations under the Joint Venture Contract to contribute capital in the form of trademarks."
Destocking and economic turmoil aside, 2009 must surely be the year when Japan's latent drinks giants seized their chance to make themselves heard on the international scene....
It would appear that, beyond the shadow of one major transaction, the soft drinks and water categories had a year of innovation and controversy. A colourful 12 months for the sector, then, as Ben Coop...
Analyst Richard Corbett takes a look at the strong performance of the carbonates category, which has been suffering in other regions....
Suntory Holdings' deal to acquire Orangina Schweppes is another step forward in the Japanese group's plan to expand overseas, writes Michelle Russell....
The banning of a TV ad for Danone's drinking yoghurt brand, Actimel, is the latest reversal to hit the probiotic food and drinks sector. Despite being one of the most prominent categories within the f...
Danone Waters has announced a switch of president and general manager at its Danone Waters of America unit....
Groupe Danone has declined to comment on a report that it agreed a EUR300m (US$450m) sum for the sale of its stake in a joint venture with China's Wahaha, ending a dispute between the two groups....
Coca-Cola Co is entering the fast-growing Chinese dairy drinks market with a new product under the Minute Maid brand....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends