CHINA: Danone dismisses Wahaha victory claim
Wahaha said late last week that a it has won a fresh ruling in the Hangzhou Intermediate People's Court of Zhejiang Province, China.
"At this point, the dispute over ownership of trademark "Wahaha" between Danone and Wahaha is finally settled," said the Chinese group.
However, When contacted by just-drinks, a Danone spokesperson in China said that the long-running dispute is far from finished.
Danone, which signed a joint venture deal with Wahaha in 1996, is involved in legal disputes with the company in several countries around the world. Danone has accused Wahaha of operating subsidiaries outside of its joint venture and illegally copying products that the two firms' had agreed would only be sold within the venture.
A Danone spokesperson told just-drinks today (22 June): "We hope to point out that the Trademark Transfer Agreement is an ancillary contract under Joint Venture Contract."
"Even though Hangzhou Arbitration Commission ruled that the Trademark Transfer Agreement was terminated, it does not absolve Wahaha Group from its obligations under the Joint Venture Contract to contribute capital in the form of trademarks."
Destocking and economic turmoil aside, 2009 must surely be the year when Japan's latent drinks giants seized their chance to make themselves heard on the international scene....
It would appear that, beyond the shadow of one major transaction, the soft drinks and water categories had a year of innovation and controversy. A colourful 12 months for the sector, then, as Ben Coop...
Analyst Richard Corbett takes a look at the strong performance of the carbonates category, which has been suffering in other regions....
Suntory Holdings' deal to acquire Orangina Schweppes is another step forward in the Japanese group's plan to expand overseas, writes Michelle Russell....
The banning of a TV ad for Danone's drinking yoghurt brand, Actimel, is the latest reversal to hit the probiotic food and drinks sector. Despite being one of the most prominent categories within the f...
Danone Waters has announced a switch of president and general manager at its Danone Waters of America unit....
Groupe Danone has declined to comment on a report that it agreed a EUR300m (US$450m) sum for the sale of its stake in a joint venture with China's Wahaha, ending a dispute between the two groups....
Coca-Cola Co is entering the fast-growing Chinese dairy drinks market with a new product under the Minute Maid brand....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts