CHINA: Danone counters Wahaha Union lawsuit, appeals for calm
Groupe Danone has dismissed a lawsuit from the trade union of its joint venture in China as "totally groundless", and has called for calm in the long-running saga.
The French company has been hit today (17 December) by a legal action from the Wahaha Union, which represents around 10,000 workers of the Hangzhou Wahaha Group - Danone's food and beverage joint venture partner in the country.
The union has accused Danone of damaging the joint ventures' and shareholders' interests by holding stakes and chairing positions in the ventures' direct competitors. Danone has been asked to "stop violating rights", and has been slapped with a demand for CNY10m (US$1.3m) to be paid in damages.
"Our lawyer's initial feedback is that this is a totally groundless claim," Danone said today. "We will handle the case according to legal procedures."
"For a long period of time, Danone has been a company well known for its efforts in placing the company's social mission as equally important as its economic mission. From that perspective, we recognise and welcome the efforts made by the Wahaha Union aiming to protect the interests of all the employees."
The French company warned, however, that is the head of Hangzhou Wahaha who is more to blame for the union's grievances. With the union claiming that "the average monthly income of a Joint Venture employee is only around EUR100", Danone highlighted that "it is well known that in the past decade, Mr Zong Qinghou (head of Hangzhou Wahaha) was fully responsible for the day-to-day management of the Joint Venture business. It is a general manager's responsibility to provide reasonable remuneration to the employees".
Wahaha Union holds a 24.6% share of Hangzhou Wahaha Group and is an indirect shareholder of Danone Wahaha Joint Ventures.
Danone concluded its response to the union lawsuit by saying that it feels that it is in all parties' interests to find an amicable solution to the dispute through discussions. "Although there has been a lot difficulty, we still believe we can achieve this goal," the company said. "Therefore, we urge all the parties to avoid taking any actions which will further intensify or complicate the situation, and work together aiming to bring about an amicable settlement as soon as possible."
The Master Kong brand has outperformed domestic and international competitors alike in the Chinese RTD tea category and is also diversifying into new beverage sectors, extending an already multi-facet...
Danone has remained mum on rumours that the French food giant is looking to exit its partnership with Wahaha....
Groupe Danone has refused to comment on reports that it has decided to pull out of its commercial relationship with Chinese joint venture partner Hangzhou Wahaha....
Danone has denied reports it is to scrap its V energy drink after reports this week that the beverage and food giant was axing it as a result of the product's flagging performance....
Danone is said to be axing its V energy drink as result of the product's flagging performance, Marketing Week reported....
Groupe Danone has reiterated its sales and profits targets for this year....
Groupe Danone has issued a Euro bond....
Evian Natural Spring Water has announced the creation of the Water Protection Institute in a bid to "play a leading role in sustainable development"....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research