INDIA: Danone and Nestle to join forces in India?
Nestle and Danone are in talks with Ramesh Chauhan, former owner of Thums Up, with the intention of setting up a joint venture for mineral water in India, according to the Indian press.No one from either company was available to comment. But it is believed that Chauhan would want to hold a majority share in any joint venture between Danone and Nestle, who have yet to launch any international brands in India.Chauhan sold Thums Up, Citra brands, Gold Spot and Limca to Coca-Cola seven years ago. But talks failed between the two companies for Coke to acquire the Bisleri brand, and Coke launched its own mineral water, Kinley, this summer.just-drinks.com comment:With the advent of Kinley(Coca-Cola) and Aquafina (Pepsi) mineral water, Bisleri is trying to hold on to the market by increasing the investment in his brand distribution. In a recent interview he denied any Joint Venture with multinational companies. As he has done with his ex-brands (Limca, Thums Up, Maaza etc.), he might look for a outright sale. This could be due to severe market onslaught by Kinley and Aquafina pricing aggressively at Rs. 10 per bottle. This aggressive push will be there for a short to medium term basis, and could prove costly for Bisleri.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview