UK: Dairy firm 'operates monopoly'
The Competition Commission has concluded that Scottish milk giant Robert Wiseman has been operating a monopoly north of the border. During an initial three-month inquiry it found that the company currently controls up to 85% of the Scotland's milk market. Having established the existence of a monopoly, the commission says it must now determine whether it had carried out any "uncompetitive" practices or had "exploited" its position. It further investigations will also centre on Wiseman's distribution of milk to supermarkets, other retailers and caterers. And it will seek to establish whether the firm's aggressive reputation acted as a barrier to other players entering the market. Wiseman has expanded rapidly over the last three years through both organic growth and acquisitions. In 1997 it bought Scottish Pride which gave it 75% of the market at the time. Wiseman, which is based in East Kilbride, near Glasgow, has recently made moves into the English market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research