UK: Dairy firm 'operates monopoly'
The Competition Commission has concluded that Scottish milk giant Robert Wiseman has been operating a monopoly north of the border. During an initial three-month inquiry it found that the company currently controls up to 85% of the Scotland's milk market. Having established the existence of a monopoly, the commission says it must now determine whether it had carried out any "uncompetitive" practices or had "exploited" its position. It further investigations will also centre on Wiseman's distribution of milk to supermarkets, other retailers and caterers. And it will seek to establish whether the firm's aggressive reputation acted as a barrier to other players entering the market. Wiseman has expanded rapidly over the last three years through both organic growth and acquisitions. In 1997 it bought Scottish Pride which gave it 75% of the market at the time. Wiseman, which is based in East Kilbride, near Glasgow, has recently made moves into the English market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits