UK: CSDs "treble" tooth erosion in teenagers
UK dentists have warned that soft drinks considerably increase the risks of tooth erosion in teenagers. In a report published in the British Dental Journal, it was found that fizzy soft drinks increases the risk of tooth erosion in a 14-year-old by three times.
It went on to say that four or more glasses a day increased the risk by 513%.
According to a survey, some 37% of 14-year-olds were drinking several glasses a day. However, among 12-year-olds the problem was not as severe, with nearly a quarter not consuming fizzy drinks and only 30% drinking several glasses a day. For 12-year-olds the consumption of fizzy drinks increased the chance of tooth erosion by 59%. It rose to 252% for those drinking several glasses.
Peter Rock, reader in orthodontics at the University of Birmingham, said: "This research identifies fizzy drinks as by far the biggest factor in dental erosion among teenagers."
Sectors: Soft drinks
PepsiCo is about to relaunch in South Africa, a market where Coca-Cola has had things entirely its own way for many years. Arnold Kirkby looks at PepsiCo's plans and assesses the impact the company's ...
The role that soft drinks consumption is playing in the worrying trend of rising childhood obesity has given soft drinks companies a corporate social responsibility challenge every bit as daunting as ...
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
The sale of carbonated soft drinks through vending machines could be banned in UK state schools, according to a report in yesterday's Sunday Times....
Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company has reported a 9% rise in volumes in its first half of the year, leading to a 5% jump in operating profits and a 1% increase in net income....
Cadbury Schweppes this week reported a rise in sales and pre-tax profits for the half to 19 June, with the company's US beverage division gaining share on its rivals....
Alabama's State Board of Education has banned carbonated drinks from vending machines in public elementary schools and limited them in middle and high schools....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends