CHINA: CSDs to grow in spite of challenges - research
Sales of carbonated soft drinks (CSDs) in China are forecast to reach around 20.6bn litres by 2016, representing growth of 47% against 2011, according to a recently-published Mintel report.
Per capita consumption of CSDs in China remains low at an estimated 10.34 litres, compared to around 167 litres in the US. However, the growing appeal of non-carbonated drinks in the face of rising obesity rates may dampen growth in CSDs, Mintel has warned.
In spite of rising obesity levels, Chinese consumers are equally or more concerned about artificial ingredients in CSDs than calorie content, Mintel says in its 'Carbonated Soft Drinks - China' report, released earlier this year.
Indeed, the report notes that the proportion of products with low/no/reduced-calorie claims fell to 7% of all new products launched in 2011, from 30.8% in 2006, even though Mintel's survey revealed that two thirds of consumers said they were likely to purchase such drinks.
There is also a dearth of naturally-sweetened CSDs which might appeal to the many consumers who are apprehensive about artificial sweeteners. "Consumers want to maintain a healthy lifestyle but there is a lack of natural CSDs in the market to meet these needs," the report states, adding that this creates "a particularly strong opportunity for innovation around natural sweeteners such as stevia, sugar cane and agave".
Meanwhile, untapped demand for single-serve options, growing interest in new flavours and expansion in the on-premise sector offer further growth potential for CSD producers, the report adds.
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review