US: CSD volumes down, beer on the up - research
Carbonated soft drink (CSD) and fruit beverage volumes have declined in the last three years, whilst beer is on the rise, according to a report from Beverage Marketing Corporation.
The report, out today (29 May), also noted that bottled water, one of the most "vital" parts of the beverage business with a track record of vigorous growth, shows a "bright future," despite some slowing.
Of the four beverage categories quantified and described in the Selected Beverage Category Brand Highlights report, CSDs and fruit beverages experienced volume declines in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Fruit beverage volume dropped by 1.6% in 2005, by 2.4% in 2006 and by 3.0% in 2007.
In 2007, CSD volume slipped below the 15bn gallon benchmark when a 2.6% fall resulted in a total of 14.7bn gallons (9.8bn cases) entering distribution channels.
Beer volume failed to grow in 2005 but then underwent a renewal in 2006, led by the strong performance of imports. Growth continued in 2007 despite some disruption in the import segment. In 2007, total beer volume in the US increased by 1.4%, nearly reaching 214m barrels.
In 2007, total US bottled water volume exceeded 8.8bn gallons, a 6.1% advance over 2006's volume level. Even after years of unrivalled expansion, volume and wholesale dollar growth remained solid in 2007.
Dr Pepper Snapple Group has expanded the distribution for its Crush CSD brand yet further in the US....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research