VIRGIN ISLANDS: Cruzan Q1 hit by rising costs
An increase in marketing and raw material costs has hit Cruzan International's first quarter, despite a small rise in the company's sales in the period.
The Virgin Islands-based spirits producer and marketer, said net sales for fiscal 2006's first quarter were US$28.45m, compared to US$24.19m reported in the same period last year.
However, gross profit was US$6.7m, compared to US$8.07m in the first quarter 2005, and first quarter net loss was US$3.16m, or US$0.47 per diluted share, compared with net income of US$149,090 or US$0.02 per diluted share, one year ago.
Jay S. Maltby, CEO and president said: "In 2005, we had a change in majority ownership and are in the process of a merger transaction with affiliates of V&S Vin & Sprit AB, the owners of Absolut Vodka."
Maltby continued: "Sales of Cruzan Rum in our premium branded spirits segment were up only 1.9% due to one competitive supplier's aggressive wholesaler incentive program during the quarter and a reduction of our inventories at the wholesaler level. The premium branded spirits segment sustained larger operating losses than last year due to increased marketing spending. Operating income in our bulk alcohol segment declined approximately US$1.8m due to increased citrus alcohol raw material costs as a result of the effects of hurricanes on the Florida citrus crop in 2004 and 2005.
"The performance in our bottling segment improved due to the acquisition of a large new bottling contract and profits in our vinegar and cooking wine segment decreased slightly as a result of decreased sales."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
An Italian court has ruled in Anheuser-Busch's favour, ordering the cancellation of three registered trademarks in Italy held by Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar....
Anheuser-Busch has reiterated its 2005 earnings per share outlook....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
V&S Absolut Spirits has opened a new distillery in Nöbbelöv, just outside Åhus....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future