SWEDEN: Cruzan, Beam stakes hit V&S earnings
The Swedish state-owned spirits producer said today (31 October) that net profit for the nine months to the end of September fell by 6% to SEK955m (US$132m).
V&S bought a majority stake in Cruzan last year and a spokesman said the company's move to buy the remainder of the rum producer had weighed on profits.
The spokesman said V&S had also maintained its 10% stake in Beam but had had to pay an extra US$153m to hold onto the size of that interest as the US group grew after the Allied Domecq takeover.
On an underlying basis, V&S saw operating profit rise 18% to SEK1.6bn on the back of a 13% increase in sales to SEK7.5bn.
Growing US sales of flagship brand Absolut vodka buoyed the company's spirits business. However, the company's Scandinavian spirits business suffered. Earnings fell 6% as the rise in cross-border shopping by Swedish consumers hit sales at V&S.
Carlsberg is looking to amend its charter, which could open the door for a bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
Vin & Sprit has lined up a fresh global advertising campaign for its Absolut vodka brand....
Fortune Brands has seen its figures slide for the first three months of 2007, despite a strong showing from its spirits and wine unit....
V&S Group has reported double digit growth in both operating profit and profit after tax in its first quarter, despite a fall in net sales, which were hit by exchange rate fluctuations...
Scottish & Newcastle has had an "encouraging start" to 2007, according to the brewer's chairman....
Gallo Family Vineyards is looking to market its rosé wines as a long drink over ice in the UK....
Belvédère has completed its purchase of Florida Distillers Company from V&S Group....
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton has posted a lift in wine and spirits revenues for the first quarter of this year....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages