UK: Crisis in Ecuador hits Britvic's J20
Production of Britvic's J20 brand will be hit due to a shortage of passionfruit concentrate, the UK soft drinks group said today (22 June).
A series of poor crops in Ecuador, the world's largest supplier of passonfruit concentrate, has hit exports, which will force Britvic to suspend production of orange and passionfruit J20 next month.
"This a problem for anybody purchasing passionfruit concentrate, not just for Britvic, but there will come a point in July when we will be unable to meet demand," a Britvic spokesman told just-drinks today (22 June).
The spokesman said that production would likely restart in September when the next crop was available. Britvic was urging suppliers to stock up on the company's other J20 brands - including apple and mango - over the next three months.
He added that the shortage would not have a material impact on the group's financial performance.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends